General Motors selected Granger Construction to build a new state-of-the-art data center based on Granger's reputation in the industry, previous success with GM and Granger's extensive data center experience.
Located at GM’s Technical Center campus in Warren, MI, Phases 1 and 2 consisted of a new 120,000 SF addition and renovations to a former administrative building. The facility contains IT laboratories to run computer simulations for vehicle designs and serves as a “hub” for monitoring GM’s digital applications globally.
A 5,040 SF Operations and Command Center has 48 work stations and a 955 SF video wall composed of 28 configurable screens that monitor data use across operations around the clock.
Other features include:
- 4 Wireless Staging Rooms protected with Radio Frequency Shielded Enclosures
- Card access system, video surveillance system, motion detectors and reinforced entry doors to control unauthorized access.
- 30,750 SF of raised flooring system, 1600 tons of cooling and 60,000 gallons of additional chilled water storage
- Over 24 miles of underground conduit and wire and over 5 miles of piping
- (3) 2MW backup generators and (2) 3MW Diesel Rotary UPS’s
- Use of hot aisle/cold aisle technology
- Infrastructure to support 400% increase in capacity through future expansions
The project was delivered on time and within budget to the complete satisfaction of GM, leading to the same team being selected to construct a second data center in Milford, MI.
A testament to the project’s success is that GM flawlessly transferred all of its applications (serving 28,000 global users) over a period of one weekend, without any disruption of service or data loss.
Granger was rehired for Phases 3 and 4 which involves building out Quads 3 and 4 (40,000 SF) along with installing additional electrical and mechanical equipment needed to support these spaces.
GMIT Enterprise Data Center
$85.7 million (total)
Phases 1-2 / $55.5 million
Phases 3-4 / $30.2 million
120,000 Addition + Renovations
Phases 1-2 / March 2012
Phases 3-4 / Dec. 2014
Phases 1-2 / July 2013
Phases 3-4 / March 2016
Gensler – Chicago