In 2016, Granger Construction began major renovations for Sparrow Health System
at their Sparrow 5 Foster Pediatric Unit in Lansing, Michigan.
During a finish upgrade project, Sparrow Hospital found mold behind existing vinyl wall covering on the 5 Foster Pediatric floor. Further investigation found this was a floor-wide issue. Due to past successes on the 8 South Renovation and 6 Foster (Mary Free Bed) Renovation, Sparrow bypassed bidding and contracted directly with Granger to renovate the floor.
Complexities of this project included a highly accelerated schedule requested by the Owner, as well as tight, occupied work conditions and a need to stay under a set contingency budget.
To achieve success, Granger utilized Lean Construction practices, including the use of daily foreman huddles, Touchplan
and takt planning
. Granger also provided budgeting updates throughout the process to ensure everything was kept within Sparrow’s budget. This project was completed six weeks ahead of schedule and under budget.
- 26 patient rooms
- Nursing Core
- Pediatric Rehab Area
- Corridor and Support Space
- Removing all drywall and architectural finishes of the walls, floors and ceilings
- Replacing existing almost all existing mechanical, electrical and plumbing infrastructure
- Removal of galvanized piping
- Reconfiguring and replacement of med-gas outlets
- Redesign of the Center Core (Support Area)