- The Learning Commons is the signature element of the college’s master plan. The project calls for a complete transformation and modernization of the existing three-story library, which establishes the heart of campus, creates a hub of activity and demonstrates the college’s commitment to academic excellence.
- The design blends Alma’s classic red brick with glass to allow people to see in and out of the facility, helping to demonstrate that the campus is vibrant and bustling with activity.
- The library-to-learning commons renovation project will retain some elements of the library and add new space, like a café and lounge space. The library books and library staff will all be on the top floor, along with quiet study space.
- The second, or main floor, will have space for a media lab and an IT help desk along with study and lounge space. A Writing Center and Academic Support will also be located on this floor, as will the Andison Center and the new Center for College and Community Engagement (3CE).
- The first floor will house a new café, located on the SAC side of the building which will open onto the Mac Mall. The College Archives and Library Special Collections will take up part of this floor, along with student organization offices. All of the remaining space will be lounge and relaxation area.
- This new bold, modern and engaging Learning Commons will invigorate Alma’s mission by providing students, faculty and staff with a desirable, iconic place to socialize, study, collaborate, learn, create and live.