In 2016, Granger Construction began major renovations for Sparrow Health System at their Sparrow 5 Foster Pediatric Unit in Lansing, Michigan.
During a finish upgrade project, Sparrow Hospital found mold behind existing vinyl wall covering on the 5 Foster Pediatric floor. Further investigation found this was a floor-wide issue. Due to past successes on the 8 South Renovation and 6 Foster (Mary Free Bed) Renovation, Sparrow bypassed bidding and contracted directly with Granger to renovate the floor.
Complexities of this project included a highly accelerated schedule requested by the Owner, as well as tight, occupied work conditions and a need to stay under a set contingency budget.
To achieve success, Granger utilized Lean Construction practices, including the use of daily foreman huddles, Touchplan and takt planning. Granger also provided budgeting updates throughout the process to ensure everything was kept within Sparrow’s budget. This project was completed six weeks ahead of schedule and under budget.
- 26 patient rooms
- Nursing Core
- Pediatric Rehab Area
- Corridor and Support Space
- Removing all drywall and architectural finishes of the walls, floors and ceilings
- Replacing existing almost all existing mechanical, electrical and plumbing infrastructure
- Removal of galvanized piping
- Reconfiguring and replacement of med-gas outlets
- Redesign of the Center Core (Support Area)